Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Incompatibility Won't Stop Me

During the weekend of amazing sales I was able to buy Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PC. The game took me about two hours to download because of the sheer size of it, 13 GB to be exact. I finally had it downloaded, then I had to wait another two hours for the installer to unpack all the files. Finally, I got the installation screen. What happens next? It tells me the game is incompatible with my system and does not let me install. I was not happy to read that. So, I jumped onto Google to see what I could find. It turns out that the game is build for Windows XP and Vista, but not Windows 7. After reading quite a few articles, I decided to try running the installer in compatibility mode. To do this I right clicked on it, clicked on properties, and choose the Compatibility tab and check "Run in compatibility". I then selected the drop down menu and choose "Windows XP Service Pack 3". After running the installer again, and waiting three hours for it to unpack the items, I finally got to the GTA install screen. I clicked through it and waited another couple of hours for it to install. And now, I finally have GTA 4 installed on my computer. One last problem confronted me. When I ran the game, I couldn't sign into Games for Windows Live. I didn't know why, but I had a feeling the game was not up to date, and thus was not allowing me to sign in. Next, I checked Rockstar's website and found that GTA 4 indeed needed an update. I downloaded it and ran the installer, and now everything works fine. I didn't give up, I just kept at it until I found the answer.

~Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment