Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Spaces for Windows

As an avid Mac user, it is hard to go without my spaces. Even Linux, both netbook and desktop edition, have spaces. For those of you who don't know, spaces, or workspaces, are different copies of your desktop where you can put applications. If you have four spaces, then you have four places to put applications. So why is it that Windows 7 does not? I may not know why, but I do know that I wanted spaces on Windows yesterday. After doing a little research, I found that you could do spaces on Windows. All I needed was an application.  The application, known as Dexpot, allows Windows users to have spaces. The install is very easy, and the program itself is small. Plus, once installed, it is very easy to configure. Selecting the number of spaces, you can have up to 20, is as simple as typing a number. The keys that you press to activate it are very natural because they are almost the same as the ones on Linux. You can always change the keys if you want, I left mine the way it came. I also went to plugins and selected the "cube" effect. The cube effect, when activated, allows you to spin through your screens in a 3D cube. It is really just for show if anything, but I like it. You can also move applications from one space to another with ease. You can either drag it, or right click and click "Move to space X". X being the number of the space you wish to move it to. If you are like me and like to stay organized, I suggest you download this application. It is very useful!

~Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment