Friday, December 31, 2010

MineCraft Server

The server client on my laptop looked like this.

Last night a spend a tone of time on a Minecraft server that I made. The process was very easy, and I had almost no trouble at all. Once I got it up and running, my friend and I played for hours and hours on it. I followed this simple tutorial to get the server up and running on my macbook. Here are the directions I followed when making the server, they were very clear and easy!
  1. Download the latest version of minecraft_server.jar from here
  2. Create a folder and put minecraft_server.jar into it. For example, create a folder on the Desktop named minecraft_server and drag the jar file into it.
  3. Open TextEdit, set the format to plain text (Format > Make Plain Text), copy and paste in the following code, and save the file as "start.command" in the same folder as minecraft_server.jar.
    #!/bin/bash
    cd "`dirname "$0"`"
    java -Xmx1G -Xms1G -jar minecraft_server.jar
    This will give the server enough RAM to run. The amount of RAM can be changed by editing the 1G to something else, such as 2G for 2 GB.
  4. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal). Type in chmod a+x , with a space after it, then drag and drop the start.command file into the terminal window, then press enter. (This gives run permission to the script.)
Double-click the start.command file to start the server.
Next, set up port mapping by following the directions below.
For server settings, see the relevant steps in the section Configure the Minecraft Server, but skip the port forwarding steps if you followed the port mapping directions below.

The whole process took about fifteen to twenty minutes, and the server only took a little less then 100 mb of RAM to run. Plus, the rate at which it send packets is very small too. My friend and I made a house, and found quite a few items. We even saved it so next we return to the server, we can play with our items!

~Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment